Energy Efficiency Advice
Before making any changes, please seek your landlord’s permission.
- Controls – timer set correctly – To understand how to use your heating controls please see the Heating leaflet.
- Any controls that exist on any radiators (or bathroom towel rails) that may exist are set correctly.
- To find the most suitable temperature for you we suggest that you set the thermostat at an initially low temperature and increase daily until you find the lowest comfortable setting.
- There are secondary thermostats in the bedrooms which allow you to reduce the circuit feeding that room to a cooler temperature than the master thermostat.
- Use a kettle for the times you need very hot water.
- With any type of shower, check to see if you can adjust the shower head spray pattern – you may find that you can reduce the flow of water.
- If you wash up by hand, don’t rinse the dishes under running hot water. Instead, use a separate bowl.
- Fix dripping taps.
- Turn taps off when you are not using it. For example, when brushing your teeth.
- Use cold water when you don’t need hot.
- Have a short shower as opposed to a bath.
- Buy a shower timer to check how long you’re really spending in the shower.
- Make sure your shower is in good condition, including the shower head, the hose and the wall mounting.
- Make sure washing machines and dishwashers are full before you use them.
If you are confused by your first bill please see here.